Independent limited assurance report
To the Board of Directors of Kemira Oyj
We have been engaged by Kemira Oyj (hereafter: Kemira) to provide limited assurance on Kemira's Sustainability Information from the reporting period 1.1.-31.12.2012. The sustainability information subject to the limited assurance engagement includes the following data and assertions presented in Kemira's Sustainability and Annual Report 2012: sections "Environment & safety" and "People & society", and the following texts in the section "Review of 2012": Sustainability targets, Sustainability as a strategic opportunity, Materiality matrix, Creating sustainable long-term value, Responsible business conduct and compliance, Compliance with competition laws and anti-corruption principles, Security practices, New product development process, Supply chain management, Environmental impact of the supply chain, Sustainability reporting scope and GRI index, as well as the following text in the section "Governance": Sustainability Management (hereafter: the Sustainability Information).
The Management of Kemira is responsible for preparing and presenting the Sustainability Information in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines 3.1. as well as for the presented data, assertions and gathering of information. The Management of Kemira has approved the presented Sustainability Information.
Our responsibility is to carry out a limited assurance engagement and to express a conclusion on the Sustainability Information subject to the assurance based on the work performed. We have conducted the engagement in accordance with the International Standard on Assurance Engagements (ISAE 3000): Assurance engagements other than audits or review of historical financial information, issued by the International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board. Amongst others, this standard requires that the assuring party possesses the specific knowledge, skills and professional competence needed to understand and review the information to be assured, and that the assuring party complies with the requirements of the IFAC Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants to ensure their independence. Our assurance report is made in accordance with the terms of our engagement with Kemira. We do not accept or assume responsibility to anyone other than Kemira for our work, for this assurance report, or for the conclusions we have reached.
The evaluation criteria used for our assurance are the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines 3.1.
Limitations of the engagement
Sustainability related data and information are subject to inherent limitations applying to data accuracy and completeness, which are to be taken into account when reading our assurance report. The Sustainability Information is to be considered in connection with the explanatory information on data collection, consolidation and assessments provided by Kemira. Our assurance report is not intended for use in evaluating Kemira’s performance in executing the sustainability principles Kemira has defined. To assess the financial state and performance of Kemira, the Kemira audited Financial Statements for the year ended 31 December 2012 is to be consulted.
The work performed in the engagement
Our assurance procedures are designed to obtain limited assurance on whether the information subject to the assurance engagement is presented in accordance with the Sustainability Reporting Guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative 3.1 in all material respects. A limited assurance engagement consists of making inquiries, primarily of persons responsible for the preparation of the sustainability information presented, and applying analytical and other evidence gathering procedures, as appropriate. The evidence gathering procedures mentioned above are more limited than for a reasonable assurance engagement, and therefore less assurance is obtained than in a reasonable assurance engagement.
In our engagement we have performed the following procedures:
- Interviews with four members of senior management to reassert our understanding of the connection between Kemira’s sustainability procedures and Kemira’s business strategy and operations as well as sustainability objectives;
- An assessment of data management processes, information systems and working methods used to gather and consolidate the presented Sustainability Information, and a review of Kemira’s related internal documents;
- Comparison of the Sustainability Information to underlying rules of procedure, management and reporting systems as well as documentation;
- An assessment of the presented Sustainability Information against the GRI reporting principles;
- A review of the presented Sustainability Information, including the performance data and assertions, subject to the engagement, and an assessment of information quality and reporting boundary definitions;
- Assessment of data accuracy and completeness through a review of the original numerical information received from Kemira’s subsidiaries as well as through samples from the Group’s information systems;
- Assessment of the local reporting processes of Kemira’s subsidiaries on a sample basis through two site visits, conducted to Kemira’s sites selected on the basis of a risk analysis taking into account both qualitative and quantitative information
Based on the assurance procedures performed, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the information subject to the assurance engagement is not presented in accordance with the Sustainability Reporting Guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative 3.1 in all material respects.
|Helsinki, 8 February 2013
KPMG OY AB
|Christian Liljeström||Timo Suomela|
|Partner||Corporate Responsibility Advisor|