Development at sites
Driven by continuous improvement focus, many sites have made efforts that significantly affect the environmental risk or impact of their operations positively. Some examples of improvements of emission control and spill/emission reduction during 2012 include:
- Rio Claro, Brazil: New containment basins and new scrubbers
- Camacari, Brazil: Minimization of effluents through reuse of all waste water generated in the process
- Arapoti, Brazil: New containment basins
- Lages, Brazil: New containment basins and new scrubbers
- Fray Bentos, Uruguay: New Transit Chemical Storage Area
- Goole, UK: Administration building and canteen energy optimizing / optimization of motors and usage sequence to reduce electricity consumption
- Ellesmere Port, UK: Site drains isolated, all on site water now recycled
- Rheinberg, Germany: New truck loading station
- Oulu, Finland: Oil removal systems, Variable Speed Drives (VSD)
- Europoort, Netherlands: To reduce risk for leakages, centrifugal pumps were equipped with double mechanical seal and sealing liquid.
- Estarreja, Portugal: New PLC and control system have been installed to monitor and control all processes.
- Prerov, Czech Republic: A new heating system has reduced operation costs by 75%. Reducing energy consumption will also reduce the environmental impact since there is also significant reduction of carbon emission.
- Pierre-Benite, France: Creation of settling area for waste water
- Joutseno, Finland: Starting to supply district heat to the residential area of Joutseno. Heat generated from byproduct hydrogen and process heat.
- Marietta, USA: Boiler burner upgrade to high efficiency low-NOx burner
- Bushy Park, USA: Emission control point data collection time intervals reduced from 6 minutes to 7 seconds as part of the modern software system